Sunday, January 25, 2015

A Clockwork Orange

"A Clockwork Orange" #46/70, 1971

I wasn't done... more cleaning turned up more drafts. They were just so far down the list, I didn't see them.

Okay, here we go...

This movie was super interesting. I often try to guess what the ending of a movie is going to be, or even what's going to happen within any given scene. Well, couldn't do that with this one. I don't think I could have predicted anything that happened in this movie. Maybe that's because I new nothing about it beforehand? But, even then, it's got some strange events in it. 

It's about this guy, Alex Delarge. He lives in futurist Britain. But not what someone would invent as futurist Britain now. What someone would have invented as futurist Britain in 1970's. So the lack of modern technology that is so prevelent now, kind of gave it a post-apocalyptic feel for me, but that's not what they were going for.
Alex is played by a young Malcolm McDowell, who does a really awesome job in the role. 

Well, Alex is our main guy, but he's not exactly our protagonist. He's kind of terrible. And does a couple terrible things with his droogs. The term in all the plot summaries is "ultra-violence."
He ends up in jail. And gets rehabbed with this experimental therapy. So instead of being a delinquent, he's supposed to be an upright citizen. And that doesn't totally work out for the government. But it doesn't totally work out for Alex either. 

Not the happy ending movie. Or the feel good movie. But it was super interesting.
I would consider watching it again. But, it's not one that I would watch all that often. The ultra-violence and all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment